Sunday, February 22, 2015

RUNNIN' OVER THE SAME OLD GROUND

The Final Cut? 
It has been said and I've even read that this is it for the Floyd guys.

At least it's supposed to be their final album. Yeah well, we've heard all of that before. The final album leads to a final tour, and then a few years down the road another tour. Who knows though. I mean these guys are getting up there in the years and the realities of growing old could put a stop to any future sojourns by the Pinksters. 


I mean the Who had the brains to say that they were calling it quits in the 80's giving them some years to work with at making those mega-bucks comebacks.

It's true these guys could really believe they're done but there are a couple of factors to be considered here. In a couple of years from now Mr. Gilmore or Mason could realize that they need more money to close that deal on their private island and so heading back out on the road could start to look good. I know these guys are filthy rich but the more money you got the more money you need ya know. 

And hey you know that Bill Clinton is somewhere lurking about ready to pounce on these guys with the idea of reuniting with Roger Waters for an album and tour; as we all know that his new passion is to be some kind of super agent that gets out there and brings all those legendary bands back to working status.

Or there's the even more cynical theory that it's just a marketing ploy and they have no intention of hanging it up, and are planning another album of leftovers, and a subsequent tour in just a matter of a few years. If that were the situation I think it's working from all the reports I'm reading. It sounds like those Endless River discs be they vinyl or digital are selling like hot cakes. And not only that but the demographic for the sales I've heard are relative youngsters. Like 18 to 30 year olds or something like that. go figure.

Oh well, time will tell what if any of these things it is but for the here and now we do have this record to listen to. Now it's called The Endless River but I think they should have called it something like Deja VuYeah, I know the title already taken but it really would fit here, and besides, there are albums out there by different groups with the same title so who really cares. 

You see the thing about listen to this record, or actually both of them is you get the feeling that you've heard it before; like maybe on The Division Bell, or maybe A Momentary Lapse of Reason, or even like during the song Echoes. Now maybe that's good for you and maybe it's not, but the one thing that really jumped out and grabbed me when I was listening to this album was just how tired and boring it is. most, if not all of this thing is a descent into an aural abyss of a band who have run out of ideas and can't seem to rehash any of their old ones with any kind of energy or interesting angles.

I will say that I like this better than I like The Wall but so what? That's not really saying anything since I have come to regard The Wall as a gigantic tedious bore. I used to like it but now I just find it an unlistenable monstrosity. I can't be the only one. And I would say that I like Dark Side Of The Moon but due to the albums overexposure and overplayed status due to the fact that it's one of the defining albums of CLASSIC ROCK I'll be fine never hearing it again.

So to sum it all up, If this really is Pink Floyd's swan song I for one really couldn't care less. And if your one of the apparently few people who haven't got this yet my advice would be to use that money to buy any of the pre-Dark Side albums that you don't already have, and if you have them all then buy a pizza.


N/p: Aquamarine Dream Machine: "Feed the Beast"
Perhaps to some extent we have lost sight of the fact that LSD can be very, very helpful in our society if used properly. - Senator Robert Kennedy, 1966
American pioneers had recipes for Locust Stew. Swear to God. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More