Sunday, February 22, 2015

One Insane and Amazing Question, Asked

What record album changed your life in terms of the music you create?

Whitney Flynn, Days n' Daze: On Avery Island by Neutral Milk Hotel, not only has it been consistently my favorite album since I was a kid but Jeff Mangum's writing style has been a huge influence in my lyrics. Especially when having a singular idea and creating imagery to express those thoughts in a more in-depth and poetic way.


Neutral Milk Hotel's On Avery Island was a huge influence for Whitney Flynn, 

Frank Hoier, Crushed Out: The Beatles White Album for me was the one that put me over the edge and made me feel that I would really like to make my own music. I was 19 and digging much further into the past. This album sounded very different than the punk rock and hip-hop I was listening to at the time. It seemed to come from somewhere I couldn't even imagine existed. And the songs were all so different. From rock & roll to acoustic guitar songs, piano songs, strange organs, all these sounds created such a beautiful and mysterious world. But most of all their voices drew me in. I was just beginning to sing, and the struggle to get your voice to sound how your soul feels, I believe is the true journey of the singer. 

I was a very self conscious and creatively withheld teenager. On this album they sounded so far away from self consciousness or worry about having a hit song. I can honestly say that 'Yer Blues' is a huge reason why I write music. The sound of Lennon's voice howling "Yes I'm lonely, wanna die" was so much more shocking and honest than anything I'd heard music touch on before. The songs are both so familiar with where they came from, and yet so absolutely their own. There are so many awesome and strange songs. To put this album on is to go into a freaky and beautiful world. 

Sometimes I don't listen to this album for years on purpose, because I like it to renew itself at different times in my life. We bought the White Album remastered while we were on tour in 2012, and it touched me deeply to hear Moselle ask me to put it back on over and over. I can remember driving over the huge beautiful gorge in Twin Falls, ID and rocking to the White Album driving towards our next gig. I think this album is responsible for my inability to decide on a genre for my own music!


Steven Krakow names Ya Ho Wha as an influence.

Steven Krakow, Plastic Crimewave: It would be hard to narrow it down, but major epiphanies came from LPs like Velvet Underground White Light/White Heat, Syd Barrett-s/t, The Stooges-s/t, Hapshash and The Coloured Coat Featuring the Human Host and the Heavy Metal Kids, and Ya Ho Wha 13 Penetration: An Aquarian Symphony  is rockin'. 

Eddie Angel, Los Straitjackets: The Beatles Live at The Star Club.

Jamie Frey, Brooklyn What: The album that changed my life definitively is Doolittle by Pixies. I came of age in the late '90s/early '00s, mostly informed by classic rock and alternative radio. This was all well and good but upon a recommendation from a good friend, I found this album. Different from anything I heard before, this album opened the doors to a whole other planet of music, one that no one in my high school had ever heard of. I was starting my first band, and Frank Black showed me how exciting and dramatic a weird voice could be, I did not have to sing like Robert Plant or Eddie Vedder. I learned all the songs from the record, as an amateur and terrible guitar player and began to write my own. The kids at school thought I wrote "Here Comes Your Man" and "Wave Of Mutilation" because they didn't know the Pixies, it was before the information age and it was still my kept secret.


This album was of huge influence to Wesley Doyle of the Bloody Hollies. 

Gethin Lewis, Psykodelik Vampyres: I would have to say a real eye opener for me was Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti. The range of musical styles from heavy blues, gentle acoustic sections, eastern influences, the sheer creativity really got to me...it certainly influenced my taste for diversity and not to limit myself.

Wesley Doyle, Bloody Hollies: The album that absolutely made me want to start a band was Now I Got Worry by the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion. It combined all the stuff I liked about classic rock, punk, The Cramps, etc., and stripped it down to it's most basic level, which I thought was super cool. To this day if I hear "2 kindsa Love" or "Wail," I have to turn it up to maximum volume. Take care!


N/p: Magic Mushroom Band: "Don't Be Afraid" 
Psychedelics are probably responsible for every aspect of human evolution apart from the decline in body hair. - Terence McKenna
If you want to dig a hole to China, you'd better be digging in Chile or Argentina. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More